In a memoQ online project, this is where you distribute work automatically among several users for several documents. From the users already listed in the online project, memoQ tries to find suitable participants for each document in each role and for each language pair.
How to get here
Open an online project for management. In the memoQ online project window, choose Translations. Select several documents. Right-click the selection, and choose Auto-assign. Or: On the Statistics/Preparation ribbon, click the Assign label below the Assign icon. From the menu, choose Auto-assign.
People must be listed first: Before you use the Auto-Assign command, list all participants in the People page of the memoQ online project window. Do not forget to set a role and a language pair for everyone on the Languages and roles tab. When memoQ looks for a suitable participant for a document, it checks the role (translator, reviewer 1, reviewer 2) and the language pair.
What can you do?
In the lower half of the Auto-assign documents window, there is the Warnings list. memoQ shows what documents can be assigned to participants. In the example above, two selected documents will be distributed among two English-German translators. But memoQ couldn't find a suitable reviewer 1 or reviewer 2 for the documents. This is how it works:
For each role and language pair, memoQ checks if there are participants who are listed in that role and with that language pair. You can do this in the People page of the memoQ online project window.
- If memoQ finds one participant for the role and the language pair: It assigns all documents to that participant.
- If memoQ finds several participants for the role and the language pair: It distributes the documents evenly between all suitable participants.
- If memoQ doesn't find any participants for the role and the language pair: It doesn't assign any
documents to anyone.
memoQ will not assign any documents to participants who have no role or language pair in the People page.
When memoQ looks for the language pair, it will accept if someone has the same main language but a different sublanguage.
You have a choice: Either you set the deadlines directly, or you ask memoQ to calculate them automatically.
- To simply set the deadlines: Click the Simple deadlines radio button, and select a date for each role (translator, reviewer 1, reviewer 2) in the boxes below that.
- To calculate the deadlines from the word counts: Click the Calculate deadlines radio button, and then click Calculation method. The Deadline calculation method window appears: Set the options for the calculation there, and click OK.
- Normally, memoQ won't touch documents that were already assigned to someone. If you want memoQ to re-assign these, check the Reassign already assigned documents check box.
- memoQ tries to distribute documents evenly among translators. For that, it uses the word count
of the documents. If an analysis report is available in the project, memoQ can use the weighted
word counts, too. To use them, check the Use weighted word counts to
distribute documents, if available check box.
Weighted word count means that memoQ looks at the fuzzy matches that can come from translation memories, and counts fewer words when a segment has an exact or a good match. To calculate the fewer words, memoQ multiplies the actual word count with a pre-set percentage, which is also called the weight. For different match rates, there are different weights. Weighted word counts are available in a project if there is already an analysis report.
To get an analysis report: In the memoQ online project window, choose Overview. Click the Reports tab. In the Analysis section, check if there is already a report that memoQ can show. If there isn't: Click Create new report now. Then you can return to assignment or automatic assignment, and check the Use weighted word counts check box.
Cannot view availability from Language Terminal: Even if the project is connected to Language Terminal, you cannot check the availability of participants from the Auto-assign window. To assign users and check their availability, assign them manually in the Assign selected documents to users window.
When you finish
To assign the selected documents: Click OK.
To return to the document list without changing the assignments: Click Cancel.