If you are upgrading from an earlier version of memoQ TMS, it is strongly recommended to back up your data before continuing. To back up your data, open the Deployment tool, then click the Backup link. If you need to restore data, click the Restore from backup link.
To learn more: Read the server upgrade documentation, available from the memoq.com website.
If you plan to upgrade from an earlier version of memoQ TMS, do not remove the previous installation of memoQ TMS before you begin installing memoQ TMS's current version.
memoQ TMS requires version .NET Framework 4.8 or higher. Make sure you install the .NET Framework and all important updates before starting the memoQ TMS installer.
If you are using the latest versions of Windows or Windows server, and you keep your copy of the operating system updated, the latest version of the .NET Framework will be already there.
It is strongly recommended that you install the latest version of .NET framework using Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Windows Update is available from the Control Panel.
To download and the install .NET Framework separately, go to the .NET Framework download page.
- You expect a large amount of data. SQL Server Express can handle databases of up to 10 gigabytes. If you need more, you need to purchase and install SQL Server Standard or Enterprise. Or:
- You have a SQL Server, but on a different computer: If your organization has a separate database server for this, SQL Server will be installed on that server. You need to create a database and grant permissions on that server.
Trial or Evaluation editions are not supported: Using such editions is known to cause problems.
If you do not need a large database (more than 10 gigabytes), and the database can be stored on the same computer where memoQ TMS runs, you don't need to download SQL Server separately. Just ask the Deployment tool to install the copy of SQL Server 2022 Express that comes with the setup package.
If you need to install a SQL Server instance before you install memoQ TMS, use SQL Server 2019 or newer. The free Express edition is sufficient unless you plan to set up large online projects, regularly exceeding the size of 50,000-100,000 segments.
Download the recommended setup package of SQL Server 2022 Express from the Microsoft Download Center.
Because each version and edition of SQL Server has a more or less different setup program, this page cannot offer a detailed walkthrough. However, it is recommended that you pay attention to the following when installing SQL Server:
- Do not make changes to the service accounts that the SQL Server installer offers, unless your corporate infrastructure requires it.
- memoQ TMS can only communicate with SQL Server using Windows-integrated authentication.
- Download and install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) along with SQL Server. Note that different versions of SQL Server use different versions of SSMS.
- It is highly recommended that you install a named SQL Server instance called MemoQServer: this is what the memoQ TMS setup program will look for by default. Do not use a Default instance.
Separate SQL Server? Do not forget the permissions.
If you install SQL Server separately, grant specific roles to at least two users.
- Over the SQL Server, the preferred server-level role is sysadmin.
- Over the memoQ TMS database, the memoQ TMS service user must be db_owner.
The user who installs and manages memoQ TMS on the server computer needs the following:
You need the memoQ desktop program on the server to manage certain aspects of your memoQ TMS. You need a project manager license for that copy. Normally, the memoQ TMS package includes at least one project manager license.
You do not need the memoQ desktop program to run memoQ TMS.
To download memoQ, visit https://www.memoq.com/en/downloads.
To learn how to install the memoQ desktop program, see the memoQ installation and activation guide.
memoQ TMS uses one single folder to store all its data. When you install memoQ TMS, you can configure the location of this folder. Normally, on the server computer, this folder is C:\ProgramData\memoQ TMS.
You may need to move this folder away from the default location for three possible reasons:
- Disk space: Your resources and projects can occupy a lot of disk space – with large translation organizations with thousands of projects; this could fall in the range of 1-2 terabytes. Usually, this disk space is not available on the system disk of a server.
- Security and flexibility: You may need to store your data on another physical disk or disk subsystem that has a different – and stronger – data integrity protection (e.g. mirroring or RAID) than the system disk.
- Folder paths, especially temporary paths for server projects can become too long. Windows supports path names up to 254 characters long. When a folder is created too deeply within the file system, the full path of a folder or file might exceed this limit. In some rare cases, this could cause an error in memoQ. You might want to use a shorter folder path to prevent this.
Before you start installing memoQ TMS, make sure the disk that will store the data is available (installed and mounted - has a drive letter). You will be able to configure the folder path during the installation process.
Read on: Install memoQ TMS