memoQ server runs as a Windows service. The memoQ server service is automatically started when Windows starts: online projects and shared resources are available even if you do not log on to Windows on the server computer.
There are times when you need to stop or start - or restart - the memoQ server service manually. For example, if you change the configuration, or you plan to update or upgrade memoQ server. Sometimes even errors occur that cause the memoQ server service to stop. In this case, you need to start the service manually, after you fix the error.
To start the memoQ server service, click Start memoQ server. memoQ server may take one or two minutes to start for the first time. If it starts successfully, the word Running appears in a little window over the Deployment tool window.
If, at the end, you see the word Stopped: This means that memoQ server was unable to start because an error occurred. Most of the time, this happens because memoQ server is not activated. As a first step, go back to the memoQ server activation program, and check if the licenses are all in order (none of them are Invalid, for example). If the licenses are all valid, there may be another problem. To learn how to resolve these, read the Troubleshoot memoQ server topic.
Wait a bit after activation: If you start memoQ server for the first time after you activate it, wait a few minutes before you start the memoQ server service.
To stop the memoQ server service, click Stop memoQ server. This link appears only when memoQ server is running. After memoQ server stops, the word Stopped appears in a little window over the Deployment tool window.
You can start and stop the memoQ server service with the memoQ server manager program. Normally, the memoQ server service is set to start automatically with Windows. However, if you have just installed memoQ server, and you do not want to restart Windows to start this program, you can use the memoQ server manager to start it.
The memoQ server manager displays a taskbar icon in the Windows notification area, indicating whether memoQ server is currently started or stopped. Look for one of these icons:
If you do not see any of these icons, the memoQ server manager program is not started.
- To start the memoQ server service, right-click the tray icon, then choose Start.
- To stop the memoQ server service, right-click the tray icon, then choose Stop.
- To close the memoQ server manager, right-click the tray icon, then choose Exit. This will not stop the memoQ server service itself. The service will continue running and the published resources and projects will remain available.
You can start and stop the memoQ server service in the Windows Services program. All Windows services - that are background or server applications - can be managed from this program.
To start the Services program in Windows Server 2012 or higher:
- Press the Windows key. The Start screen or the Start menu opens.
- Type services.msc.
- Wait until the Services program appears on the list, then click it.
The Services program lists all installed Windows services:
In the list, find the memoQ Server service item.
- To start the memoQ server service, right-click the name of the service in the list. From the pop-up menu, choose Start.
- To stop the memoQ server service, right-click the name of the service in the list. From the pop-up menu, choose Stop.
If the memoQ server is not on the list, it is not installed. In that case, you need to download and install it using the memoQ server Deployment tool.