Translation results settings
In the Translation results settings window, you can control how memoQ filters the suggestions in the Translation results pane.
How to get here
- Open a document for translation.
- When you work on a segment, memoQ shows a list of suggestions in the Translation results pane.
At the top of the Translation results pane, double-click the closed eye or the open eye icon.
The Translation results settings window opens.
What can you do?
Limit the suggestions from translation memories and LiveDocs corpora
If you get many suggestions with the same text, try these settings:
- Filter and limit translation memory and corpus hits: Check this check box to show only one hit for identical target segments.
- Maximum number of translation memory and corpus hits shown: In this box, set how many translation memory or corpus suggestions you want to see in the list.
- Show corpus hits without translation: Check this check box to show LiveDocs suggestions coming from monolingual documents.
Tell memoQ to patch matches
See the MatchPatch section in the Translation results pane's documentation.
- Patch fuzzy TM matches check box: If this is checked, memoQ will try to patch matches automatically. To use not just terms, but translation memory fragments, check the Include TM fragments (LSC hits) check box. To save the improved match rate in the document instead of the original one, check the Store patched match rate instead of the original match rate check box.
Limit and sort the list of term suggestions
Use the settings under Term base:
Longest source term hides shorter matches: If the source text contains two terms where one contains the other, memoQ can hide the shorter one. To do that, check this check box. For example, if the source text contains 'translation memory', but 'translation' is also a term in the term base, memoQ will show 'translation memory' only.
One source term gives only one translation: When filtering is on, memoQ will show only one translation for identical source terms, no matter whether or not this check box is checked.
You can tell memoQ how it should order the suggestions from the term bases. Choose one of these radio buttons:
Order term base hits primarily by rank.
When checked: memoQ sorts term base suggestions according to the ranking of the term bases in the project, and also by the descriptive details of the term base entries (client, domain, subject).
When cleared: Suggestions are sorted by the source position first, then by the ranking of the term bases - or alphabetically first, and then by the ranking of the term bases. To view and check the ranking of term bases: In Project home, choose Term bases, and check the numbers there.
When memoQ ranks the term base suggestions, it gives a score to each suggestion. If a suggestions has more descriptive details in common with the project than another, it gets a higher score. If two suggestions have the same number of details in common, memoQ will check how important these details are. If a term base suggestion has more important details that match the project, it gets a higher score. The order of importance is this, from the most important to the least important detail: Project name, client name, subject, and domain.
Example: if there are two term base hits for the same source expression, where the first one matches the client name, and the second one matches the subject, the winner is the first one because the client name is more important.
Show term base hits with empty target: If this is checked, memoQ will show term base suggestions even if there is no translation for the term in the current target language, but there are translations in other languages.
Strangely enough, you can ask memoQ to show the list slower. If the list appears immediately, it may slow down your typing. If it appears half or one second later, you can type faster. Normally, memoQ waits half a second before showing the list. To set the delay in milliseconds, type a number in the Delay before showing translation results box.
memoQ will not wait before filling in the current segment with the best suggestion - only the list comes later.
When you finish
To save the changes, and return to the translation editor: Click OK.
To return to the translation editor, without changing the filtering settings: Click Cancel.
memoQ application menu: Options > Options > Appearance > Lookup results. You can change the hit list order here.