In a team, you ask questions. When you work on an online project, you can do this through memoQ. After you check out an online project, memoQ opens a Communication tab. It stays open unless you close it. This is quicker than sending e-mails or using an external messaging app.
In the Communication tab, you can have a chat with the other participants. Plus, you can start comment threads about the entire project, or answer to these threads. Comment threads are also called discussions.
How to get here
Check out an online project. Or, open the local copy if the project is already checked out. Normally, the Communication tab opens automatically.
If you can't see the Open Communication Tab command: The project manager didn't allow communication in that project when it was created.
What can you do?
Type your message in the box below the Chat window, and click Send. Messages from others will appear in the Chat window. You can choose a color for your message with the Text color button, next to Send.
The other participants are listed in the Users box. If the icon of the user is green, they are online. If the icon is red, the user is offline.
Automatically Away after a while: If you are online but do not do anything for a long time, memoQ will say you're Away until you return to work.
Receive messages while not on the Communication tab: If the Communication tab is open, but you're working on another tab (for example, a translation), incoming messages appear in popups at the bottom right.
A discussion is not a simple conversation. It has a summary, a problem, and a suggested answer. It's also a task: someone has to answer it. A discussion can be open or resolved.
- To start a discussion, click Start topic at the top right.
- The Start a discussion window appears. Fill in the summary, the problem, and a suggested answer, and choose a user who needs to respond. You need to fill in every box before you can click OK.
- Click OK. memoQ adds the new discussion at the top of the Project topics list.
You discuss the entire project: The discussions in the Communication tab are always about the entire project. You can't add comments to documents or segments here.
Find the discussion in the Project topics list.
You can respond to a discussion in several ways. You have commands at the bottom of each discussion.
- To simply add a note to the discussion: Click Add note. Or, if the discussion has notes, click View notes. The list of notes appear, and a note box: Type your note in there, and click Send (at the bottom right of the note box). The list and the box stay there until you close and open the Communication tab, or until you close and open the entire project.
- To change the suggested answer: Click Change suggestion. The Change suggestion window appears. Type the new suggestion. Click OK.
- To confirm that the question was answered: Click Change status. The Change status window appears. Click the Resolved link.
To open a discussion again after it was resolved: Resolved discussions don't disappear. If you are looking at a resolved discussion, you can reopen it. Click Change status. In the Change status window, click Open.
- To send the question to another user: Click Assign. The Assign to user window appears. Choose another user from the Assign topic to drop-down box. Click OK. From this point, the new user will need to answer the question.
- To get notified when someone responds to a discussion: Click Follow. memoQ server will send you an e-mail when someone adds a note to the discussion or changes it.
You can't unfollow a topic: After you follow a discussion, the Follow command disappears. There is no Unfollow command.
To stick the discussion to the top for everyone: Click the pin.
If you click the bin, memoQ will delete the discussion.
When you finish
To close the Communication tab: Click the X in the tab itself.