memoQ has several default ribbons: Project, Documents, Preparation, Translation, Review, Edit, View. There are many more that appear only when you're managing or editing resources, or you're editing alignment pairs.
Project managers have Workflow: In the project manager edition of memoQ, there is a Workflow ribbon, too.
To collect frequently used commands: Use the Quick Access ribbon or the Quick Access toolbar. The Quick Access toolbar is always at the very top of the memoQ window. (If you can't find it, look left.)
How to get here
- On the Quick access toolbar (in the top left corner of the memoQ window), click Options .
- In the Options window, choose Appearance. At the top left, click Customize the ribbon.
The Customize the memoQ ribbon window appears.
Or, use the ribbon: Open a project if none is open. On the View ribbon, click Customize the Ribbon. The Customize the memoQ ribbon window appears.
Or, right-click any icon in any ribbon: In any of the ribbons: Right-click an icon. Choose Customize the Ribbon.
Or, right-click an icon to the Quick Access toolbar: In any of the ribbons: Right-click an icon. Choose Add To Quick Access Toolbar. The Customize the memoQ ribbon window doesn't appear.
What can you do?
- Under Choose commands from (in the list at the left): Expand Preparation. (Click the plus sign before it.)
- Four categories appear. Each category corresponds to a section in the ribbon. Expand Translations. (Click the plus sign before it).
- Under All customizable areas (in the list at the right): Expand Quick Access. (Not the Quick Access Toolbar.)
- Under Quick Access, a list of sections appears. Choose the section where you want to put Pre-translate, and expand it. (Click the plus sign before it.)
- Or, if there is no suitable section: Create one. At the bottom, click New group.
- The new group appears at the bottom of the list. Type its name, and press Enter. In this case, it would be Translations.
- In the list on the left, click Pre-translation. Between the two lists, click Add >>. The Pre-translation command appears in the group you selected on the right.
- Under Choose commands from (in the list at the left): Expand Project. (Click the plus sign before it.)
- The list of sections appear. Expand Create Project. (Click the plus sign before it).
- Under All customizable areas (in the list at the right): Expand Quick Access Toolbar. (Not Quick Access ribbon.)
- Under Quick Access Toolbar, a list of commands appears.
- In the list on the left, click Check Out From Server. Between the two lists, click Add >>. The Check Out From Server command appears in the group you selected on the right.
If you have a desktop computer and a laptop, you will want to use the same customized ribbons on both computers.
After you customize the ribbons on one computer, copy them to the other one:
- At the bottom of the Customize the memoQ ribbon window, click Export customized ribbon.
- A Save As window appears. It offers to save a file called RibbonLayout.xml. Find a folder for the file, and click Save.
- On the first computer, click OK to close the Customize the memoQ ribbon window.
- Send the file to the other computer. One way to do this is sending an e-mail to yourself. Or, you can save the file to cloud storage (DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc.).
- On the other computer: Save the file you sent.
- Open memoQ, and start customizing the ribbon. (See the How to get there part at the top of this page.)
- At the bottom of the Customize the memoQ ribbon window, click Import customized ribbon.
- An Open window appears. Find the RibbonLayout.xml file, click it, and click Open.
- The customized ribbons are loaded.
If memoQ is upgraded, the ribbon may change: When you update or upgrade memoQ, your customized ribbons stay as they were. But if a command is missing from a new version, and your customized ribbon contains the command that was taken away: It will be deleted from the customized ribbon.
When you finish
To save the customized ribbons, and return to memoQ (or to Options): Click OK.
To return to memoQ (or to Options), and not save the changes: Click Cancel.